Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Good Start to Sports


            This year I was able to travel for sports, since I’m in the eight grade. We started out with Cross Country. For the beginning of practice we began with yoga for a couple of days. Then we ran around the airport a couple times. After that we ran to Sandy’s and back through Charlie’s and back to the school. It started to become a little bit harder because we had to run on the beach where there was sand.
Then on September 18th we flew to Newhalen because the Cross Country Race was going be there.  Around 1p.m we got there. A couple hours after we got there we walked the course. I was thinking, “This is so long I don’t think I’m going to be able to do this.”
After we walked the course we had dinner. Then we played an icebreaker, afterwards, we set up for Riflery. Riflery was okay but the first time I shot I smashed my finger in the pumping thing. After that we got ready for bed.
The next morning we all got up and ate breakfast. After breakfast we listen to this trooper talking about Initiative. I thought it was kind of unexciting and not really interesting.
I didn’t really pay attention to Initiative because my brain cells were too nervous for the race to start. It was starting soon, but it seemed like it was taking forever. Then our coach said that it was time for us to start warming up. We stretched a little bit and went for a quick run.
After that it was time for the race to start. The girls went first and there were nine of us. So Ed Lester lined us up at the top of the hill and counted down from ten. When he reached one, he blew a whistle for us to go. We started running the race and we were all going down hill so everybody was pretty fast. Then on the road I paced myself so I wouldn’t have to be stopping every time I got tired.  
I was doing alright until the half way point where a girl passed me by. I looked to see if anybody was behind me and I saw this one girl who wasn’t too far back. I wasn’t going to let anybody else pass me so I kept my pace.
I felt so exhausted and couldn’t breathe.  My legs felt like they were about to give up. But I kept going till I got to the finish line. I got in fourth place. I could have gone to the regionals in Bethel if I was in 9th grade.
Next year I’m going to join Cross Country and try and do my best again. I thought it wasn’t going to be that fun joining Cross Country but I guess I was wrong. It was a good start to sports for me.
Out of Breath at the Finish Line



No comments:

Post a Comment