Friday, February 20, 2015

The Rattlesnake
A True Story by Walt Gooden


One day in Kansas, I was doing my math lesson. I had just finished the last math problem. I went outside. Strangely it looked like dad was looking down a pole. It only took a second for me to realize it was a gun. Our dog Flip was growling menacingly, so I thought Dad was shooting at something. Mom noticed me and said, “Stay on the porch,” so I did. Then I saw dad pick up his hoe. That’s when I knew why. It was a rattlesnake, a big Timber rattler about three and a half feet long. It was as fat as my wrist. Dad brought the hoe down on its head. Then he called to me and Ella and said, “Time for your science lesson.”  We got to see the insides of a rattlesnake and we ate it the next day. We grilled it. It kind of tasted like smoked salmon.  If I ever get the chance, I will eat it again.      

1 comment: